It has been a few weeks since I’ve written on our adoption blog. Let me tell you, the past couple of weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. I know Jeff wrote about the roller coaster we have been on. But our roller coaster has gotten so crazy that in some ways, I feel like it has driven itself off the tracks and is flying through the air right now as we speak. I know this sounds dramatic – and perhaps like a bad thing – but in actuality, we are watching God take over our lives in ways we never thought possible.
Basically, the past thirteen days have looked like this:
On Tuesday, May 1st, I called a local adoption coordinator who oversees domestic adoptions. My friend wanted me to contact her to learn more about how domestic adoptions are handled. This coordinator goes to a local church and “matches” birth moms with adoptive parents. I spent about 35 minutes on the phone with the coordinator and learned the “ins and outs” of domestic adoptions. It was a very informative conversation. Jeff and I didn’t commit to adopting domestically but decided to keep the info in our back pocket in case we changed our minds in the future.
Thursday, May 3rd, the adoption coordinator called me and said that she had a birth mom that she wanted to show our Adoption Photo Book to on Monday. She thought we might be a good match for this particular birth mom. (Mind you, Jeff and I did not have an adoption book.) For international adoptions, we show about 6 – 8 photos of ourselves and our home. Jeff and I talk about it and decide to go forward with having our book shown to this particular mom.
Friday, May 4th, I scramble and spend 11 hours creating an adoption photo book. I want to say that it was not stressful, but it was. This book is basically a heart-felt letter to birth moms thanking them for giving a family like ours the opportunity to adopt their baby. The book’s pictures are an attempt to show where we live, how we live, that we are decent people. Stressful!
Monday, May 7th, our coordinator was supposed to meet with the birth mom to show her our book. I am on pins and needles all day. Distracted. Anxious. Waiting on God’s timing. Wanting to vomit. I try my darndest to avoid calling our coordinator and asking for an update. I compromise and text her. She responds immediately and says the meeting did not go through with the girl and that it should hopefully later that week.
Tuesday, May 8th, I struggle with waiting. I realize that God is showing me that my patience is lacking. I post this quote on my personal Facebook page which keeps me grounded. “Stand still” – keep the posture of an upright man, ready for action, expecting further orders, cheerfully and patiently awaiting the directing voice; and it will not be long ere God shall say to you, as distinctly as Moses said it to the people of Israel, “Go forward.” Charles Spurgeon
Wednesday, May 9th, Jeff and I hear from the adoption coordinator who wants to show our book to two more birth moms. This is the moment of decision for Jeff and me. Originally, we thought we would have her show our book to just the one mom thinking in our minds that her unborn baby was perfect for us. So this decision is big. We had to decide if we were going forward 100% into the world of domestic adoption. Jeff gives me a wholehearted yes. I’m about 90% in. We give the okay for our book to be shown.
Thursday, May 10th, we get “The call.” Our coordinator had showed our book (along with 4 or 5 other books) to a birth mom and the mom chose us.
So, let me recap our life within the past year: Jeff and I feel compelled to help orphans and decide to adopt a baby from Ethiopia and a baby from Haiti. We will be waiting about 2+ years to bring those kiddos home. We’ve spent about $15,000 on adoption fees thus far and we have at least another $45,000 to go. Then, within a matter of just 10 days, a local birth mother chooses Jeff and me to adopt her baby. This will be another $29,000 and, a third child to add to our home.
It gets better. The birth mom is having a girl and she is due in early August. In fact, she is due less than 3 months from now. So three months from now, Jeff and I may be the proud parents of a baby girl. We were expecting to bring two kiddos home about 2 years from now and all of a sudden we are looking at bringing a newborn home in less than 3 months.
We are feeling excited. We are feeling queasy with nerves over our lives changing in just three months. I am fearful and preparing my heart for the possibility that the birth mom might change her mind at the last minute. We are trying to figure out how we can do this financially because we can’t. We are trusting and relying on God to come through in a huge way as we begin fundraising immediately. We are cancelling plans we already had set in motion. (I had a business trip in NYC scheduled for the first week of August and Jeff had a two month long trip to Ethiopia scheduled for the 3rd week in August.)
It is crazy how within a blink of an eye, God has shown us that He has different plans for our imminent future. His plan for us right now is to work towards bringing home a baby girl from Florida who needs a home and loving parents. We are up to the challenge.
We will begin fundraising in the next 24 hours or so. I have to say that for the first time, my pride has disappeared and I’m not going to be ashamed to ask for help. In order for us to help this soon-to-be born baby girl, we need help ourselves. Crazy times are ahead and I can’t wait to watch God move mountains.